Breaking News

Two people and gunman dead in Auckland on eve of Women's World Cup

Two people and a gunman have been killed in a "serious incident" in Auckland on the eve of the Women's World Cup.

Police responded to reports a man had fired shots in a building in downtown Auckland, two miles from Eden Park, the venue for the opening match of the tournament between co-hosts New Zealand and Norway.

New Zealand Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said at least six people had been injured, including a police officer, who was able to walk to an ambulance with assistance from colleagues.

Hipkins met with FIFA president Gianni Infantino following the incident, and confirmed the World Cup would go ahead as planned.

FIFA also confirmed a minute's silence will be held ahead of the opening match between New Zealand and Norway at Eden Park.

"Clearly with the FIFA World Cup kicking off this evening, there are a lot of eyes on Auckland," Hipkins said. "The government has spoken to FIFA organisers this morning and the tournament will proceed as planned.

"I want to reiterate that there is no wider national security threat. This appears to be the action of one individual."

Both the New Zealand and Norway teams have confirmed they are safe.

New Zealand Football said it was "shocked by news of the incident in Auckland CBD".

It added: "We can confirm that all of the Football Ferns team and staff are safe but we will not be able to comment further while details are still emerging."

Infantino said New Zealand authorities had been working with FIFA "from the earliest moment of this tragic incident".

"We have been involved in ongoing communication from the outset, and we have also received the necessary reassurances from Minister for Sport and Recreation Grant Robertson in relation to the safety and security of the participating teams and fans at the FIFA Women's World Cup in New Zealand," he said.

"FIFA extends its deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims who lost their lives, and our thoughts and prayers remain with those who have been injured in this tragic incident."

Norway captain Maren Mjelde said people woke up quickly when a helicopter began hovering outside the hotel window.

"We felt safe the whole time," she said in a statement. "FIFA has a good security system at the hotel, and we have our own security officer in the squad. Everyone seems calm and we are preparing as normal for the game [on Thursday]."

The incident comes as many football teams were gathering in New Zealand for the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup, which begins in Auckland on July 20.

No comments