Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Fifa Rejects Chelsea Transfer Ban Appeal


Chelsea have lost their appeal against Fifa's decision to ban them from signing players during the next two transfer windows.

The only change to the ban, until the end of January 2020, is that the Blues can sign under-16 players from the UK during the suspension period.

Fifa took action against Chelsea after an investigation into their signing of foreign under-18 players.

The club will now appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"The Fifa appeal committee has decided to partially uphold the appeal lodged by Chelsea," Fifa said in a statement.

"This ban applied to the club as a whole - with the exception of the women's and futsal teams - and did not prevent the release of players."

Fifa said it found breaches in 29 cases out of the 92 investigated.

Chelsea's fine of £460,000 by world football's governing body also remains.

The Football Association (FA) was also fined £390,000 by Fifa when it issued the ban and English football's governing body was told that it must "address the situation" regarding the international transfer and registration of minors.

Chelsea said they were "very disappointed" the ban had not been overturned and "categorically" refuted the findings of Fifa's appeal committee.

Based on documents from Football Leaks, French website Mediapart claimed in November that 19 Chelsea signings had been looked at during a three-year investigation.

Mediapart alleged that 14 of those signings were under the age of 18.

It was first reported in September 2017 that Chelsea were being investigated.

Burkina Faso international Bertrand Traore - who now plays for Ligue 1 club Lyon - signed his first professional contract at Chelsea in 2013 at the age of 18 but was not registered until January 2014.

Mediapart claimed Fifa found evidence that Chelsea had misled them over the dates, while Traore was found to have made 25 appearances for the Blues (under-16, under-18 and first team) despite not being registered by the FA.

Chelsea admitted they paid his mother £155,000, as well as a further £13,000 to the club she chaired - AJE Bobo-Dioulasso - in April 2011 to allow them first refusal over his signature.

That deal, it is alleged, was for four and a half years, despite the limit for under-18s being three years.

In addition, it is also claimed Chelsea paid for Traore to attend the £20,000-a-year Whitgift School in Surrey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment